Nokia Headlines Launched, Supplanting Nokia Channels
If you’re wondering what the next Nokia’s foray would be, do give Nokia Headlines a try. It is similar to an RSS reader optimized for easier reading and navigation on Nokia handsets. If the service grows and a good number of contributors join it, it might very well become one of the applications Nokia offers with Nseries cell phones and Eseries smartphones. Nokia Headlines which replaces Nokia Channels has the following new features.
- New name and icon: Headlines.
- If the battery level drops below 14%, the intelligent content background updater stops automatically.
- After reboot background updater starts automatically.
- Publication content packages are stored to memory card when available.
- Possibility to offer “preinstalled” publications.
- Add content item added to Option menu in My content view.
- Possibility to fetch advertisements from publisher’s own Ad serving platform.
- Memory leakage fixed when browsing back and forth on headline tabs.
- Memory full notification fixed.
- Minor UI fixes in All content and My content views.
I’ve not yet tested the compatibility of the application with Symbian screen readers, but I’ll report my findings here. I wish it can replace Google Reader for handset owners one day!